Page 2 of 5
Why take patterns
- The way a garment is cut, may help to identify it’s origin and/or date (compared to others).
- A pattern enables you to make reconstructions of whole or parts of garments.
- A pattern can provide you with information about the wearer, their size, shape and posture.
- The process of examining a garment so systematically, gives far more information than any cursory examination.
- Patterns are easier to compare than garments and will enable you to compare with similar garments in other collections without handling.
- An accurate pattern combined with a thorough description and good pictures will reduce the need for further handling.